A few years ago, as I was applying to do ordination training and a research degree at Trinity College, I read Tom Wright’s response to ‘Pierced for our Transgressions’. In this critique, in which he described the book as sub-biblical, he lamented the fact that discussion of the atonement often bypasses the Gospels and heads straight to the Pauline texts. It was this lament which provided a springboard for my own research. On arriving at Trinity, and in discussion with my supervisor, I began to look at Jesus’ death in the gospels. My first paper was an analysis of Mark 10:45 which opened my eyes to how much material I would need to cover. As the years have moved on my focus has moved from the historical Jesus to the Gospel of Mark. with a particular focus on the death of Jesus in relation to the tribulation, Temple, and exile. The road is long with many a winding turn….. The following video which I came across by friend and fellow blogger ‘The Bishop’ reminded and encouraged me as to the relevance of my research to the contemporary atonement debate and to the church.
- fb.me/8wiZqcfd3 1 hour ago
- RT @granthamchurch: https://t.co/njmsEYVapl 2 hours ago
- Walter Brueggemann, Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth Lay school on the Pentateuch, after the World Trade Center... fb.me/10sFBk8dq 7 hours ago
- Emotional and prayerful service today at Lighthouse. Thank you James for sharing the pain of Mothering Sunday and the hope found in Jesus. 1 day ago
- Hello Sunshine! #Ilkley 2 days ago
- atonement Audio Bible Brant Pitre Bultmann Carson conference creation regained criteria Criteria of Authenticity Critical Realism dale allison Desciples Disciples dualism Dunn Emergent Emerging eschatology essays ethics Exodus fresh perspective genre Gospel Hell Historical Jesus Historiography History Humour ISrael Jesus John Piper Josephus Justification Kasemann Kingdom kingdom of God Lectures libronix Mark Mark's Gospel Meier methodology Miracle Miracles Mission Missional Mp3 N.T. Wright Neo Calvinism New Exodus New Perspective on Paul New Testament Theology NPP Parable Parables Parousia Pauline Studies Penal Substitution Perrin Piper pitre Politics Postmodern powerpoint prayer Quest for the Historical Jesus reformational Rob Bell Talks tribulation video/audio worldview Wright
- 177,282 hits
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.
Neil Shenvi lectures… on The Quest for the Historical J… James Green on Bruce Waltke: Evolution Robert Quarton on Gordon Fee on Revelation Frank Turek on the c… on Quest for the Historical Jesus… Mike on Gordon Fee on Revelation