1) What’s your favourite theology book?
Ahhh! That is difficult. I have different books for different phases of my life
John Piper: The Pleasures of God
When I was in my late teens this book powerfullly set forth a high view of God. A powerful tonic to an anthropocentric view of the world.
N.T. Wright: Jesus and the Victory of God: In my late twenties this book helped me to better understand the historical Jesus
Rikk Watts: Isaiah’s New Exodus in Mark: In the last few years I keep on coming back to this book. This book has shaped and is still shaping how I read Mark and appoach teh Old Testament.
2) What Christian(s) book has been most influential in your thinking? Why?
Creation Regained: Al Wolters Life became richer! Mission became life encompassing
3) Where do you attend church?
St Micheals, Stoke Gifford Bristol
4) What is your denominational affiliation?
Church of England
5) Who is your favourite theologian/Christian philosopher?
John Calvin, Lesslie Newbigin, N. T. Wright, Chris Wright, Rikk Watts
6) Who is your favourite preacher?
7) What is your calling as a Christian (if you’ve figured that out!)?
To be human. To love God and enjoy him forever. To be an agent of reconciliation. To be a husband and dad. To teach and preach. To bring theological education to the church. To be a servant of the church.
8) What spiritual virtue do you desire most?
Greater depth and persistence in personal prayer
9) What is the greatest challenge to the church today?
Depends who we are talking about:
Conservative Evangelicalism: To reduce the gospel to personal peity and evangelism
Mainline CHurches: To be more influenced by zeitgeist than scipture
10) What bothers you most about the local church?
I have noticed a copy of the ‘Left Behind’ series in the Church Library.
11) What encourages you most about the local church?
Love the Bible, Love each other, impacting local community, openness to the Holy Spirit.
12) Pre, post, or Amil?
I have postmillenial tendencies….
Jesus shall reign where’er the sun
Does his successive journeys run;
His kingdom stretch from shore to shore,
Till moons shall wax and wane no more.
13) Antichrist…past or future?
Margaret Thatcher! just kidding….. both/and
14) If you could only keep 5 Christian books with you on a desert island, what would they be?
Bible: Preferably a study bible with notes, maps and concordance.
Greek New Testament + Greek Grammer Book + BDAG lexicon Apostolic Fathers in Greek (might finally be able to get my greek up to scratch)
Church of England’s ‘Daily Prayer’
Maybe Bavink’s Reformed Dogmatics: Never read it but want to!
Hymn Book of some description (preferably something which blends old and new)
15) What got you thinking theologically?
debates as a teenager on United Beach Missions about Calvinism and Arminianism.
A Theology Quiz
November 14, 2009 by jonswales